I decided to put a trailer hitch on the two stroke. Basically just in case I need to take something bigger to a club event.
I had an original Saab 95 trailer hitch that I did not need so I exchanged it to the 96 model with a fellow Saab Club member Vesa. It had some surface rust but other than that it was quite solid. So here’s a few photos on how I installed it on the two stroke:
The hitch had some surface rust so it needed to be taken a part for cleaning.
I had to cut some bolts off with an angle grinder. I found these new ones in the spares but the thread on them was too short.
Extending the thread.
Here’s the bolt thread extended. They need to be cut to length.
More new hardware from the spares. Unlike in the photo I used new nylon locked nuts in the final installation.
Removing the rust from the hitch frame.
And painting the parts.
A new back plate for the electrical connector was made.
And I made new support irons for the hitch frame. The original ones were lost or felt too flimsy.
Attaching the tow bar. Temporary nuts. I used nylon lock nuts for the final installation.
Support iron seen from the inside. As you can see they are much wider than the original and have two extra bolts.
Tow bar in place. Time to start sorting out the electrics.
I bought a new electrical connector kit.
There’s a rubber gasket between the back plate and the connector.
Drilled a hole for the wiring. Here you can also see the rear tow bar support iron.
I like these heat shrinkable “splice connectors”. So I used them instead of the ones that came with the kit.
All you need is a heat gun. It melts the solder and shrinks the tube tight around the wires. Weatherproof and could not be any easier.
I have this trailer connector tester which makes checking you have the right wires in the right place easy.
Come to think of it – maybe I should get one of those mini-carvans…