I’m currently restoring a Saab 99 Turbo 1978. This 1978 Turbo needs some serious corrosion repairs but it has the original 3 row radiator and the stronger “S” type gear box.
This is a full bare body restoration – meaning that all the components come off the body, it’s stripped of paint, welded and painted and put together again. All the mechanical components will be checked and rebuild as necessary.
You can follow my blog here or see a listing of all the blog posts at the end of this page.
Saab 99 Turbo
The 99 Turbo was introduced in 1978 as 3-door Combi-Coupe version. It was fitted with a turbocharged 2-litre engine. For the later 1979 and 1980 versions the two-door model was used. The 99 Turbo was available in Cardinal red, Sterling silver, Anthracite grey, and Black. The two-door was also available in metallic green. The car was produced in both Trollhättan, Sweden and Uusikaupunki, Finland. In Finland the only color choises for the 1978 model were Cardinal red and Black.
My car is an original Finnish car, made in Uusikaupunki and sold to Finland as new.
More info in Wikipedia
Pre-production series 1977
There was a small batch of pre-production test cars available in 1977. For example the Finnish Police force had a 4-door Turbo for a test car. The legend goes, that the Police version had more turbo boost than the normal 99 Turbo. Normal pressure was 0,7 bar, but the Police version had 1 bar. Also 1.3 bar was tested and worked fine. When raised to 1.7 bar the engine blew out… None of the Finnish Police Turbo Saabs have survided to my knowledge.
Saab 99 Turbo 1978 project posts:
- Hatch corrosion repair
- Saab 99 Turbo Part 16 – Metal prep & Primer
- Saab 99 Turbo part 15 – Driver side door repair
- Saab 99 Turbo part 14 – Time for some primer
- Saab 99 Turbo Part 13 – Alternator and Starter Motor Restoration
- Saab 99 Turbo part 12 – Learning To Use Auto Body Solder
- Saab 99 Turbo part 11 – restoring the brakes and suspension components
- Saab 99 Turbo part 10- Corrosion repair almost done
- Saab 99 Turbo part 9 – front section welding
- Using Shrinker/Stretcher to repair Saab 99 brake dust shields
- 99T part 8 – Spare tire compartment re-build
- 99T part 7 – more rust repair
- 99T part 6 – replacing the rear quarter and more welding
- 99T part 5 – new sheet metal for the rocker panels
- 99T part 4 – more paint removal
- Building an English Wheel
- 99T part 3 – Undercoat and paint removal
- Saab 99T Part 3 – Engine removed
- Saab 99T part 2 – disassembly continued, headlight bezel repair
- Saab 99 Turbo 1978 – Restoration part 1 – The Beginning
- Saab Club Meeting in Northern Finland
- 1978 Saab 99 Turbo – deciding what to do
- Saab 99 Turbo 1978