Here’s the latest update on the 1969 V4 Rally. Suspension and brakes are now done, so I have moved on to the electrics and the dashboard.
Rear brakes put together. New brake shoes and pistons.
I used the Saab 95 brake cylinders. The pistons are visibly bigger than the 96 ones (on the right). I’m not sure the brake balance is ok with this setup. If it doesn’t work I’ll just switch back to 96 pistons.
The handbrake levers were pretty much done for. We drilled out the old loose rivets, cleaned the parts, welded in new bolts, and painted them. They now work as new. (Sorry, no photo of the finished product).
The beefier Saab 95 springs. Some Skoda shock absorbers we found laying around the shop… Probably not optimal…
And I put these way old Girling Decarbon shocks in the front. I’ll probably need to get the Bilsteins at some point but decided to save the euros to actually finishing the car. Regular V4 springs.
Ventilation for the front brakes. Cutting the slits.
Spread open, welded, and painted.
Here you see how the scoop works. The actual Works cars had even bigger scoops.
New Brembo disk and the hub in place.
Time to fix the calipers. The pistons were worn out, so in with new pistons and rubber seals.
New piston in the caliper.
New brake pads. Regular street grade. I’ll invest in better stuff later – when I actually get to really driving the car.
The locking pins that came in the installation kit – Not good… They slipped right through.
So I spread the locking pin big end with a drill bit.
Fixed. Now it will not slide through.
I also made a work light for the engine bay:
All it needed was a little wiring and a few holes drilled.
The light cost 3 euros and the switch is the hazard light switch from a V4.
The work light works!
And I started preparing the dashboard. As I’m putting in the older type dash all sorts of minor adjustments are needed. Also, I will need to simplify the electrics by removing all wires and elements that are not needed:
All sorts of used stuff I gathered for the dash…
Figuring out a rally-suitable dash layout.
Warning lights for high beams, charging and directional light indicators.
The interior light needed to be repositioned as it wouldn’t fit in with the roll cage. Also the door switches were removed, so I figured I’ll put it on the dash where you can reach it with the harness on.
I hacked a Saab 900 directional light to pieces and used it for the oil pressure warning light.
The oil pressure warning light. It’s nice to have a huge red light telling you that you already blew the engine…