The corrosion repair on the 99 Turbo is finally almost done.
Basically what’s left to do is fixing the driver side door. The “good” doors I had turned out to be not so good… The passenger side door needed just a few patches but the driver side door needs to be re-skinned. More on that later.
So – it’s starting to look like the car will be in primer before the spring!
Some photos of the progress since last post.
I got a new bonnet from a newer 99 and fits a lot better than the one from mid seventies. It’s a full 10 mm wider at the rear.
The bonnet was still misaligned and after a lot of head scratching I finally figured out that the hood bracket on one side had been welded almost a centimeter off correct position. It was taken off and rewelded.
Welding the window frame pulled it up a little which caused some misalignment.
If you don’t get it right the first time – use bigger tools…
Fitting the bonnet done.
Starting to look how it should…
The sides look pretty straight also.
One more issue. The passenger side door just didn’t want to sit properly. As I compared the sides I figured out the roof panel was a little out of shape. This already when the car was manufactured…
Fortunately it was fixable with a little hammering.
Making a patch panel template for the front fender.
And the patch ready to weld in.
And another patch panel. The shrinker-stretcher and the english wheel are handy making these types of curves.
And the patches welded in.
The Saab 99/900 driveshaft tunnel in it’s normal condition 😀
Cutting away the rust.
Making a paper template for the patch.
I used a bead roller to lift up the edges. I need to have some better rollers made – the ones that came with the machine are pretty useless.
And the patch done.
And the driveshaft tunnel done.
The doors were much more corroded than they appeared. The passenger side needed a few patches, but the driver side is really bad.
Making a few patches for the passenger side. The driver side door needs to be re-skinned.
I have been looking for the Sport&Rally instrument cluster for the center console and the spare fuel canister.
The extra fuel canister that goes in the spare wheel I found locally.
Front face from Sweden, Sport&Rally instrument cluster and body from two different guys in Finland.
I need to get some VDO gauges.
So the corrosion repairs are almost done. Basically the one major job is fixing the driver side door. More on that later.
Well done, Tommi. All that work is paying off. It’s looking good!
Great to be following this. Keep it flowing.
My water injected, lowered 99T on 900 SPG springs and billies was the most raw fun I’ve ever had in a car.
Hi Tommi I am very much interested in buying the Saab 99 Turbo, I know you are restoring the complete car from reading the blog and to you it should hold a lot of sentimental value.
If you are by any chance willing to sell after the completion of the project please do let know as I would like to gift it to my Father.
By the way Great work and a Great Project you have taken up. It brings life to us enthusiasts of classic cars.
Best of Regards
Hello! Unfortunately you would need to make me an offer I can’t refuse… 😀 Br, Tommi