We got the engine removed from the car yesterday. Today I didn’t have that much time to work on it, but managed to get the engine bay washed to check the corrosion situation. I expected there to be quite a bit to weld, but it turned out to be in good condition.
The sunroof mechanism was in great condition. Obviously the drainage holes have worked nicely. No rust here.
Removing the windscreen is pretty easy using a bunch a metal slivers pushed under the rubber. Add slivers from top center outwards and eventually the upper edge of the window pops out.
We need to replace the complete windscreen bottom frame.
Time to lift the engine.
The ignition lock frame has this weird triangular locking nuts. Dad made a special high tech tool to get them out…
The engine out of the car.
That’s a lot of dirt, oil, and grease.
Time to wash the engine bay.
After the wash. That looks a lot better than I expected.
Pretty much rust free.
Drive shaft tunnels are in great condition also. Only minor repair needed.
The corners that are usually rotted out.
Disassembly is almost done. Basically only air conditioning, some electricals, and suspension are left to remove.